CHRONIC MEDICINE BENEFIT APPLICATION FORM APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS (please complete this application as follows) The application must be completed in black ink. Please print clearly and legibly. One application form must be completed per patient. Kindly take note of the clinical entrance criteria for the various chronic conditions. These are detailed on pages 6 to 8. Certain entry requirements necessitate the completion of this form by a specialist. The patient or principal member (where the dependant is below the age of 16) must complete Sections A, B and C. Please forward pages 1 and 5 as well as those pages containing information pertaining to the relevant chronic condition/s, to Old Mutual Healthcare. The completed and signed form can be faxed to (021) 509 8183 or a scanned copy, e-mailed to [email protected] Feel free to contact a consultant on 0860 102 102 for Oxygen Scheme or 0860 100 733 for other administered schemes. The application will not be processed if the relevant sections are incomplete or if the required clinical tests are not submitted. (please use the checklist in Section C to ensure full completion) SECTION A: PRINCIPAL MEMBER’S DETAILS SECTION B: PATIENT’S DETAILS
E-mail address(will be treated as private)
SECTION C: DECLARATION BY PATIENT
Have Sections J and K been completed by the relevant practitioner?
Have all the required supporting documents been included with this application?
(Please refer to the Clinical Entrance Criteria Requirements detailed on pages 6 to 8)
Have the necessary sections pertaining to the chronic condition/s, been completed by the medical practitioner?
Does the medical aid provide chronic benefits for your chronic condition?
Please forward the relevant pages containing the completed sections to Old Mutual Healthcare. Please do not forward the entire application form. I understand that the Scheme/Fund (or it’s authorised representative) needs to access my/my minor child’s personal medical information in order to assess the application. I hereby authorise my medical practitioner to provide the Scheme/Fund (or it’s authorised representative) with all the relevant medical information required to assess my application. I hereby declare that the information provided on this application form is true and correct. PRINCIPAL D D M M Y Y Y Y SIGNATURE SIGNATURE KINDLY COMPLETE AND FORWARD TO PBM SECTION D: CARDIOVASCULAR RISK (to be completed by doctor when applying for PMB chronic medicine benefits for hypertension, hyperlipidaemias and diabetes mellitus type 2) For patients younger than 30 years of age diagnosed with hypertension, a specialist must complete this section.
5. Waist Circumference 6. Does the patient have a history of smoking? YES ,
7. Indicate the duration of smoking history 8. If female, is the patient post-menopausal YES
9. Is microalbuminuria present or is the GFR less than 60 ml/min YES
10. How many times per week does the patient exercise
11. If there is target organ damage and/or cardiovascular disease please tick the appropriate box:
For heart failure please provide either the NYHA classification: Class
, or the Stage of cardiac failure according to the American College
of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines: Stage
SECTION E: APPLICATION FOR HYPERTENSION (please complete in conjunction with Section D) For patients younger than 30 years of age have been diagnosed with hypertension, a specialist must complete this section. 1. Current blood pressure (to be completed for all patients) ______ / ______ mmHg.
2. When did this patient commence drug therapy for hypertension
D D M M Y Y Y Y
3. For all newly diagnosed patients and those diagnosed within the last six months, please supply the two initial blood pressure readings (before drug
therapy) done at least two weeks apart in order to establish the stage of hypertension*.
i) Date D D M M Y Y Y ____ / ____ mmHg ii) Date D D M M Y Y Y ____ /____ mmHg Drug therapy will be funded in accordance with the accepted algorithm and risk stratification as stated in the South African Hypertension Guideline 2006. Please indicate risk factors of the patient: Please provide additional clinical information, if there are compelling indications for use of drug classes that are not first or second line therapy: Risk factors • Smoking • Dyslipidaemia • Diabetes mellitus • Age > 60 years • Sex (men/postmenopausal women) • Family history of early onset CVD (women aged < 65 years, men aged < 55 years) • obesity. KINDLY COMPLETE AND FORWARD TO PBM SECTION F: APPLICATION FOR HYPERLIPIDAEMIA (please complete in conjunction with Section D)
1. Please attach a copy of a recent lipogram.
2. Does the patient suffer from familial hyperlipidaemia (FH)
4. Is there a family history of premature arteriosclerotic disease?
Please provide the following details if the answer is YES:
Sibbling Description of event Age at time of first event/death
5. When did your patient commence drug therapy for hyperlipidaemia?
D D M M Y Y Y Y
6. In terms of the European Guidelines adopted by South African Heart Association, the following categories’ patients are not required to be risk scored.
b. Cerebrovascular atherosclerotic disease
3. Diabetes Type 1 with microalbuminuria or proteinuria
Please provide supporting clinical evidence or pathology results to confirm the health status of the patient to indicate that the patient falls within the aforementioned categories.
7. For patients with primary hyperlipidaemia please risk rate your patient using the following table and indicate your patient’s score by marking the
Estimate of 10-year risk for MEN: (Framingham point scores)
Estimate of 10-year risk for WOMEN: (Framingham point scores) Cholesterol Cholesterol (mmol/l) (mmol/l) HDL (mmol/l) HDL (mmol/l) Systolic BP Systolic BP If untreated If treated If untreated If treated KINDLY COMPLETE AND FORWARD TO PBM
Estimate of 10-year risk for MEN: (Framingham point scores)
Estimate of 10-year risk for WOMEN: (Framingham point scores) Point total 10-year risk % Point total 10-year risk % 10-year risk % 10-year risk % Framingham scoring system for calculating the 10-year risk of major coronary events in adults without diabetes. HDL denotes high-density lipoprotein cholesterol & BP blood pressure. All age ranges are given in years.
Reprinted from National Institues of Health, National Heart, Lung & Blood Institute. Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection,
Evaluation and Treatment of High blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III), Executive Summary. NIH Publication No. 01-3670; May 2001.
8. Based on the information supplied in Section F.
• For patients below 60 years of age: does your patient have a
20% or greater chance of a coronary event in the next ten years? YES
• For patients above 60 years of age: does your patient have a
30% or greater chance of a coronary event in the next ten years? YES
We acknowledge that there are limitations to the Framingham Risk Assessment Score Chart. In order to assist with the funding decision, pleasemotivate if you feel that your patient is negatively impacted by these limitations.
The PMB chronic benefit will not provide cover in patients with less than a 20%/30% risk of a coronary artery event within the next ten years. This isbased on local and international treatment guidelines and is in line with the Medical Scheme Council Clinical Algorithm. This is a funding decisionand does not in anyway question your clinical decision. This funding decision is to ensure the long-term sustainability of this benefit. SECTION G: APPLICATION FOR DIABETES TYPE 2 (please complete in conjunction with Section D)
1. Please attach a laboratory report confirming the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. 2. Medication will be funded from the chronic benefit if the WHO criteria are met:
• Fasting plasma glucose > 7.0mmol/l• Random plasma glucose > 11 mmol/l• 2 hours post prandial glucose load > 11.1 mmol/l during an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT)
3. A motivation is required from an endocrinologist or specialist physician to authorize chronic benefits for glitazones and nateglinide. The motivation
must indicate the advantage of these medications over conventional therapy.
4. When did your patient commence drug therapy for type 2 diabetes?
D D M M Y Y Y Y SECTION H: APPLICATION FOR PSYCHIATRIC BENEFITS (to be completed by medical practitioner) A psychiatrist must complete this form if benefits are required for the following conditions: • Anorexia • Bulimia • Bipolar mood disorder • Insomnia • Narcolepsy • Obsessive Compulsive Disorder • Panic Disorder • Post Traumatic Stress Disorder • Schizophrenia
1. Please indicate diagnosis (DSM1V)2. Please indicate the number of relapses3. Applications for depression will be assessed as follows:
• Applications from General Practitioners will be approved for six months pending a motivation from a psychiatrist. • Generic Fluoxetine or Citalopram will be funded as first line therapy from a general practitioner. • Motivation or psychiatrist referral is required to fund other chronic medication indicated for treating depression. SECTION I: MEDICAL/SURGICAL HISTORY/RISK FACTORS (to be completed by medical practitioner) D D M M Y Y Y Y D D M M Y Y Y Y KINDLY COMPLETE AND FORWARD TO PBM SECTION J: MEDICAL PRACTITIONER’S DETAILS SECTION K: DISEASE AND MEDICATION DETAILS (Please print clearly and legibly to avoid delays in processing.) 1. Please note that a formulary will be applied. Funding for medication prescribed outside this formulary will require a motivation. This is a funding decision to ensure the long-term sustainability of this benefit and does not question your clinical judgement. currently authorised How long has prescriptions Ailment/ Quantity medication that the patient would you Name of medication prescribed Strength Diagnosis Code been on this like your discontinued? medication? patient to (if applicable) receive? D D M M Y Y Y Y SIGNATURE OF MEDICAL PRACTITIONER KINDLY COMPLETE AND FORWARD TO PBM SECTION L: PRESCRIBED MINIMUM BENEFIT (PMB) CHRONIC MEDICINE BENEFIT
All Schemes/Funds administered by Old Mutual Healthcare Pharmacy Benefit Management provide chronic medicine benefits for the 25 chronicdiseases, called the Prescribed Minimum Benefit (PMB) chronic diseases.
Government regulates the PMB and allows Schemes/Funds to apply managed healthcare principles to ensure the provision of cost effective healthservices within the constraints of what is affordable. The Medical Scheme Act prescribes that a Scheme/Fund can apply clinical entry criteria, treatmentguidelines, treatment algorithms and formularies to determine whether a member is eligible for a benefit and also the extent of the benefit available.
A formulary is a list of cost effective medication that will be covered by the PMB chronic disease benefit. The formulary has been developed usingevidence-based medicine. Please check your current member guide to determine whether your Scheme/Fund applies a formulary. The Old MutualHealthcare formulary is referred to as the Medicine Benefit List (MBL).
Schemes/Funds are also allowed to appoint Designated Service Providers (DSP) for the provision of medicines authorised for the PMB chronic diseases. Members who voluntarily use the services of a non-DSP will be required to make a co-payment on their PMB chronic medication. Please check yourcurrent member guide to determine whether your Scheme/Fund has a DSP arrangement. SECTION M: MEDICAL MANAGEMENT OF THE PMB CHRONIC DISEASES
The Prescribed Minimum Benefits also cover the cost of the medical management of the PMB chronic diseases. Medical management refers to certainconsultations and diagnostic tests used by your medical practitioner. Certain Schemes/Funds require members to register for medical managementof their PMB disease to ensure that they receive cover for quality, appropriate and cost effective health care. Please refer to your current member guideto obtain information about the medical management benefits, the registration process and DSP arrangements for your Scheme/Fund. SECTION N: PRESCRIBED MINIMUM BENEFITS: CLINICAL ENTRY CRITERIA Please take note of the following: 1. Your application cannot be processed if the information is not supplied. 2. The entrance criteria may require that the form be completed by a specialist. 3. The following information is required each time you register for a new chronic disease. Once registered for a chronic disease you are not required
to complete an application form, unless you are diagnosed with a new chronic disease. Once registered for a disease you may be required to submit further documentation if your medication is changed. You will be informed if your doctor is required to provide this documentation. Your doctor or pharmacist may contact the PBM clinical call centre on 0860 024 766 to update chronic medication authorisations. PMB CONDITION CLINICAL ENTRANCE CRITERIA REQUIREMENTS Addison’s disease
1. Serum cortisol levels. 2. ACTH stimulation test to distinguish primary from secondary adrenal insufficiency. The PMB is only
applicable to primary Addison’s disease.
3. A specialist physician, paediatrician or endocrinologist must make diagnosis.
1. A lung function test for children, who are eight years and older, as well as for adults. 2. The South African Treatment Guidelines for Asthma will be used to assess all applications. 3. Applications for leukotriene inhibitors (e.g. Singulair ®) must be supported by a pre and post lung function
test to substantiate the additional benefit. Bipolar Mood Disorder
A psychiatrist must complete Section H. Bronchiectasis
Please attach a report based on the findings of a radiological examination (X-ray or CT scan). Cardiac failure
Please indicate the level of functional incapacity as per:1. The New York Heart Association’s Classification, and/or2. The stage of Cardiac Failure according to the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association
Task Force on Practice Guidelines (February 2002). Level/Stage to be recorded in Section D. Cardiomyopathy
A specialist physician or cardiologist must confirm the diagnosis. Chronic obstructive pulmonary
1. Please attach a lung function test. (The REF entry criteria are in line with the GOLD classification). disease (COPD)
2. Applications for oxygen must be supported by the following;
oxygen saturation levels off oxygen therapy, hours of oxygen use per day and FEV1 level
Chronic renal disease
1. A specialist physician must complete the application form. 2. Indicate the serum creatinine clearance. 3. A report indicating haemoglobin, Tsat and ferritin levels must be provided when applying for erythropoietin.
The report must indicate if the patient is currently on or off drug therapy.
4. A report indicating the Tsat and Ferritin must be provided when applying for Ion supplementation
Coronary artery disease
Please attach a copy of the stress or exercise ECG report confirming the diagnosis of coronary artery disease. FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY - DO NOT FORWARD PMB CONDITION CLINICAL ENTRANCE CRITERIA REQUIREMENTS Crohn’s disease
A specialist physician, paediatrician, gastro-enterologist or surgeon must complete the application form. If ageneral practitioner manages the condition, the medical practitioner indicated above must confirm the diagnosis. Diabetes insipidus
1. An endocrinologist, specialist physician, paediatrician, neurologist or neurosurgeon must complete the
2. The results of a water deprivation test are required. Diabetes Type 1
The medical practitioner that currently manages the patient must complete the application form. Diabetes Type 2
The medical practitioner must complete Sections D and G of the application form. Dysrhythmias
The medical practitioner must indicate the ICD10 code. The PMB chronic disease benefit only provides coverfor Chronic Atrial Fibrillation and Flutter (I48) and Ventricular Tachycardia (I47.2). Epilepsy
1. Please attach a detailed seizure history. 2. Please attach an EEG report confirming the diagnosis of epilepsy. 3. The REF entry criteria is as follows:
• the occurrence of two or more unprovoked seizures within a 12 month period; or• the occurrence of a single unprovoked seizure with focal neurological abnormality on clinical examination
or cerebral imaging, or EEG epileptiform activity. Glaucoma (open and closed angle)
Please provide the intra-ocular pressure at diagnosis. This is only required for newly diagnosed patients. Haemophilia
Haemophilia A: Please provide the factor V111 level as a % of normal. Haemophilia B: Please provide the factor 1X level as a % of normal. Please do not complete this form. To register, or request information on the HIV programme, please call our HIV programme manager. Refer to your member guide for the contact number. Hyperlipidaemia
The medical practitioner must complete Sections D and F of the application form. Hypertension
The medical practitioner must complete Sections D and E of the application form
Please attach the diagnostic report that confirms the initial diagnosis of hypothyroidism. Multiple sclerosis
A specialist physician or neurologist must complete the application form and indicate the specific type of MS.
2. Please provide the following information when applying for chronic medicine benefits for interferon;
• extended disability status score (EDSS)• relapsing-remitting history• relapses requiring IV cortisone treatment
Applications for certain medicines will only be considered if prescribed by a neurologist, or if the applicationis supported by a neurologist’s motivation. Please refer to the formulary. For Schemes/Funds that do not havea formulary this restriction will only apply to Pramipexole dihydrochloride and Entacapone. Rheumatoid arthritis
1. PMB only covers rheumatoid arthritis and excludes other closely related conditions. We therefore require
copies of the relevant blood test reports and supportative clinical history confirming the diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis. The diagnostic criteria for RA are those proposed by the American College of Rheumatology (ACR) for classification of the disease.
2. Applications for COXIB’s must be supported by a motivation indicating the risk factors considered for their
use over conventional anti-inflammatories.
3. Applications for anti-inflammatories as monotherapy must be supported/motivated by a rheumatologist. Schizophrenia
A psychiatrist must complete Section H. Systemic lupus erythematosus
1. A rheumatologist, specialist physician or paediatrician must complete the application form.
2. The REF recommends that the diagnostic criteria for SLE are those of the American Rheumatism Association
A specialist surgeon, physician or gastro-enterologist must complete the application form. If the condition ismanaged by a general practitioner, a specialist surgeon, physician or gastro-enterologist must confirm thediagnosis. FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY - DO NOT FORWARD SECTION O: NON-PRESCRIBED MINIMUM BENEFIT CHRONIC DISEASES Your Scheme/Fund may cover one or more of the non-Prescribed Minimum Benefit chronic diseases. Please refer to your current member guide before applying for chronic benefits for the following diseases. Your Scheme/Fund may also cover chronic diseases that are not listed below. For further information on the diseases covered by your Scheme/Fund, please contact the Pharmacy Benefit Management call centre. The authorisation notes are a summary of the authorisation requirements and PBM may request additional information to authorise certain medicines. CHRONIC CONDITION CLINICAL ENTRY CRITERIA/AUTHORISATION NOTES Acne (cystic nodular)
For isotretinoin therapy the weight of the patient, date treatment commenced and duration of therapy isrequired. For certain Schemes/Funds a photograph with masked eyes is required. A dermatologist mustinitiate therapy. Acne vulgaris
For isotretinoin therapy the weight of the patient, date of treatment commencement and duration of therapyis required. A dermatologist must initiate therapy
ADHD or ADD
A paediatrician, psychiatrist or neurologist must complete the application form. Allergic rhinitis
A motivation or a specialist prescription is required to fund the combined used of inhaled nasal corticosteroidsand antihistamines. Generic fluticasone, beclomethasone and budesonide will be funded as first line therapy. Motivations must be submitted to fund other medication as first line therapy. Alzheimer’s type dementia
Please submit results of a mini mental state examination (MMSE) if the following drugs are prescribed:Aricept®, Exelon® and Reminyl®. Ankylosing spondylitis
1. A rheumatologist must complete the application form. 2. Applications for COXIB’s must be supported by a motivation indicating the risk factors considered for their
use over conventional anti-inflammatories
Benign prostatic hypertrophy
Doxazosin generics will be funded as first line therapy. A motivation is required to fund alternative products. Avodart, Flomax, Proscar and Xatral will not be funded as first line therapy unless prescribed by an Urologist. Depression
Section H of the application form must be completed. Applications from GP’s will be approved for six monthsonly pending a motivation from a psychiatrist. Generic Fluoxetine or Citalopram will be funded as first linetherapy from a general practitioner. Motivation or psychiatrist referral is required to fund other chronic medicationindicated for treating depression.
Generic omeprazole is the only PPI that will be funded as first line therapy. A motivation is required to fundother medicines as first line therapy, unless prescribed by a gastro-enterologist. Alternative medicines will befunded if a motivation is submitted indicating that generic omeprazole has been ineffective.
Only preventative medication will be funded from the chronic benefit. Hypoparathyroidism
A specialist physician or endocrinologist must complete the application form. Hypotension
Submit a pre and post medication blood pressure reading. Hyperthyroidism
Submit T3, T4 and TSH levels. Funding will be authorised for six months pending review. Meniere’s disease
Generic cyclizine, prochlorperazine and cinnarazine will be covered as first line agents. Betahistine (Serc®)will be funded after successful motivation. Menopause (HRT)
A motivation for HRT in patients less than 40 years of age is required. A motivation is required to authoriseTibolone. Migraine
The benefit will only cover preventative medication. Oncology Please do not complete this form. To register, or request information on the Oncology programme, please call our Oncology programme manager on 021 509 2273. Organ transplant
Proposed transplants need to be pre-authorised. Please refer to your member guide for details. PharmacyBenefit Management will authorise post transplant medication. Osteoarthritis
Applications for COXIB’s must be supported by a motivation indicating the risk factors considered for theiruse over conventional anti-inflammatories. Osteoporosis
a. applications must include a DEXA bone mineral density scan (BMD) report. b. a short report on additional risk factors (e.g. previous fractures, family history, long term oral corticosteroids
use) must be included, if applicable.
An endocrinologist motivation is required for males, females < 30 years and children.
Applications for clopidrogel (Plavix ®) must be accompanied by a motivation from a specialist indicating theadditional benefit for use over aspirin therapy. Systemic sclerosis
A rheumatologist or specialist physician must complete the application form. Tourette’s syndrome
A psychiatrist or neurologist must complete the application form. Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome
A gastro-enterologist or specialist physician must complete the application form. FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY - DO NOT FORWARD
Shadow on the Brain; One woman's search for the roots of chronic depression [FINAL Edition 1] The Washington Post (pre-1997 Fulltext) - Washington, D.C. Author: It is deep in the night; morning is a mirage. And the thing I have dreaded has happened: The beast is outside my window. It is a mechanical beast, and it screams -- steel against steel, a heavy thundering of weight. There is the
Treatment regimes - light at the end of the tunnel? A recent decision from a European for the patentability of treatment regimes, Patent Office (EPO) appeal board “Use of [compound X] in the preparation ofbut was forced by existing case law to find may have opened the floodgates against validity of the claims - it would to a new and highly valuable field require a House of Lords d