Pharmacie française en ligne: Acheter des antibiotiques sans ordonnance en ligne prix bas et Livraison rapide.
Statistics Concentration)M. S. (Applied Statistics)
University of the Philippines at Diliman, 1985
Department of BiostatisticsUniversity of Alabama at Birmingham, Oct 2008 – present
Center for Cardiovascular BiologyUniversity of Alabama at Birmingham, November 2010 – present
Center for AIDS ResearchUniversity of Alabama at Birmingham, May 2008 – present
Department of BiostatisticsUniversity of Alabama at Birmingham, Aug 2004 – Oct 2008
Department of Mathematics and StatisticsUniversity of Nevada Reno, Jul 2001 – Jul 2004
Center for Research Design and Statistical MethodsUniversity of Nevada Reno, January 2004 – June 2004
Department of Biostatistics and EpidemiologyUniversity of the Philippines, January – March 2003
Center for Research Design and Statistical MethodsUniversity of Nevada Reno, July – December 2002
Department of MathematicsUniversity of Nevada Reno, July 1995 – June 2001
Department of Mathematics and StatisticsBowling Green State University, 1992–1993
Department of Mathematics and StatisticsBowling Green State University,1986–1987 , 1991–1992, 1994–1995
Statistical CenterUniversity of the Philippines at Diliman, 1985– March 1986
Statistical Consulting CenterBowling Green State University, January 1988 to May 1988
University of Nevada Reno academic community,Reno and Sparks community, August 1995 – July 2004
Intel-Philippines Manufacturing CorporationSeptember 1988 – December 1990
Marketing Planning International, Philippine AirlinesMarch – July 1986
– NIH/NINDS Cutter, G (PI) 09/23/05-08/31/15
Project Title: MGTX Study – Data Coordinating CenterRole: Deputy Director of the Data Coordinating Center
– NIH/NIAID Whitley, R (PI) 01/15/09-01/31/2012
Project Title: Clinical Trials for Antiviral TherapiesRole: Deputy Director of the Data Coordinating Center
– NIH/NHLBI Gupta, H (PI) 07/01/2010-06/30/2015
Project Title: Left Ventricular Torsional Hysteresis: A Global Parameter for DiastolicFunctionRole: Biostatistician
– NIH/NIAID Whitley, R (PI) 09/29/11-09/28/2016
Project Title: An Adaptive Pharmacokinetic, Pharmacodynamic, Concentration-ResponseInvestigation of CMX001 in the Infants with Neonatal Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV),Followed by a Randomized Assessment of Oral Valacyclovir versus Oral Acyclovir Sup-pression.
– NIH/NIAID Whitley, R (PI) 09/29/11-09/28/2016
Project Title: The Safety, Tolerability and Pharmacokinetic Properties of CMX001 inRenal Transplant Recipients with BKV Viremia: A Phase IIA Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Dose-Escalation Study.
– NIH/NIAID Whitley, R (PI) 09/29/11-09/28/2016
Project Title: A Pharmacokinetic, Pharmacodynamic, and Resistance Evaluation ofIntravenous Ganciclovir in Premature Infants.
– NIH/NIAID Whitley, R (PI) 0/15/09-01/31/2012
Project Title: An Adaptive, Sequential Study Evaluating Prevention of Neonatal HerpesSimplex Virus (HSV) Disease: Detection of Maternal Herpes Simplex Virus Shedding atDelivery, Followed by Preemptive Antiviral Therapy in Exposed NeonatesRole: Co-investigator/Biostatistician
– NIH/NIAID Whitley, R (PI) 0/15/09-01/31/2012
Project Title: A Phase II, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Blinded Investigation ofSix Weeks of Oral Valganciclovir Therapy Versus Placebo in Infants with CongenitalCytomegalovirus Infection and Hearing Loss.
– NIH/NHLBI Ahmed, Ali (PI) 07/01/2010-06/30/2015
Project Title: Neurohormonal Blockade and Outcomes in Diastolic Heart FailureRole: Biostatistician
– NIH/NHLBI Dell’Italia, L. (PI) 01/09/05-12/31/10
Project Title: SCCOR in Cardiac Dysfunction and DiseaseRole: PI Biostatistics Core
– NIH/NHLBI Ahmed, Ali (PI) 08/15/06-5/31/10
Project Title: Heart failure, chronic kidney disease, and renin-angiotensin system inhi-bitionRole: Biostatistician
– NIH/NIAID (PI Michael Saag) 09/01/08 - 08/31/09
Project Title: Unsolicited R24 for the CFAR-Network of Integrated Clinical Sciences,CNICS (Role: Biostatistician)
– NIH/NIAID (PI Michael Saag) 09/16/08 - 02/28/09
Project Title: UAB Center for AIDS Research (Role: Biostatistician)
– “HIV Prevention Intervention in the Primary Care Setting”, HRSA, Biostatistician, 09-
– “Combination Therapy in Multiple Sclerosis Data Coordinating Center”, NINDS, Bio-
statistician, 9/01/03-8/31/08 (PI: G. Cutter)
– “Rapid MRSI Through Optimal Sampling” (R21), NIH, Consultant, started 08/01/07
– “Cardiovascular Health Effects of Isocaloric Substitution of Polyunsaturated Fat Rich
Snacks . . .”, Smart Foods Inc., Biostatistician, 02/05-06/06 (PI: M. P. St. Onge)
– “Community Based Intervention with Opinion Leaders to Achieve Syphilis Elimination”,
CDC, Biostatistician, 09/30/02-09/29/06 (PI: D. Grimley)
– “The Utility of C2 Cyclosporine Monitoring in Cardiac Transplantation”, Biostatistician,
– “Collaborative Research: Stochastic Methods for Fractional PDE” (PI: M. Meerschaert),
– “An Online Mathematics Assessment, Placement and Learning System”(PI: J. Johnson),
– Evaluation of Peer Support Program in Type 2 Diabetes in a Primary Care Setting in
the Philippines, submitted in 2008 to Peers for Progress Program (role: PI)
– Evaluation of Peer Support Program in Type 2 Diabetes in a Primary Care Setting in
the Philippines, submitted in 2009 to BRIDGES Program of the International DiabetesFoundation (role: PI)
– UAB Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center, 2009, submitted to
NIH/NIA in 2009, PI: R. Allman, role: Biostatistician
– Immunotherapy of HIV-related oral cancers by activation of endogenous gd-T cells, sub-
mitted to NIH/NIDCR in 2009, PI: R. Lopez, role: Biostatistician
– Intervention to reduce AIDS related stigma in Kumasi, Ghana, submitted to NIH in
2009, PI: J. Ehiri, role: Biostatistician
– Transmitted/founder HIV-1 viruses in acutely infected injection drug users, submitted
to NIH in 2009, PI: J. Schumacher, role: Biostatistician
– Integrative Therapeutic Strategy Targeting Oxidative Stress and Bioenergetic Dysfunc-
tion in the Volume Overloaded Heart, submitted to NIH/NHLBI in 2009, PI: L. Dell’Italia,role: Biostatistician
– Individual Patient Meta-Analysis of Long-Term Alzheimer Disease Clinical Trials, sub-
mitted to NIH in 2009, PI: G. Cutter, role: Co-Investigator
– Real-time Early Analysis and Detection System (reading) Diagnostic Clinical Trial, role:
Biostatistician, submitted in 2007 to a private company. (PI: P. Fuhr)
– Missing Data in a Longitudinal Hierarchical Linear Model, role: Co-PI, submitted to
– Effects of Exenatide on Sensory-specific Satiety, role: Biostatistician, submitted to a
– Malnutrition and Diarrhea: A community-based prospective study, role: PI, submitted
in 2005 to Sparkman Center for Global Health,
– Influences on the Quality of Life of Long Term Filipino Cancer Survivors, role: Co-PI,
submitted in 2003 to NIH, (PI: G. Cutter)
1. Birkner T, Aban IB, Katholi CR. Evaluation of a Frequentist Hierarchical Model to
Estimate Prevalence when sampling from a large geographic area using Pool Screening.
Accepted for publication in Communications in Statistics - Theory and Methods
2. Bowling CB, Sanders PW, Allman RM, Rogers WJ, Patel K, Aban IB, Rich MW,
Pitt B, White M, Bakris GC, Fonarow GC, Ahmed A. Effects of enalapril in systolicheart failure patients with and without chronic kidney disease: Insights from the SOLVDTreatment trial. Int J Cardiol. 2012 Jan 16. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22257685
3. Sims RV, Mujib M, McGwin G Jr, Zhang Y, Ahmed MI, Desai RV, Aban IB, Sawyer P,
Anker SD, Ahmed A. Heart failure is a risk factor for incident driving cessation amongcommunity-dwelling older adults: findings from a prospective population study. J CardFail. 2011 Dec;17(12):1035-40. Epub 2011 Oct 8. PMID: 22123368
4. Zhang Y, Kilgore ML, Arora T, Mujib M, Ekundayo OJ, Aban IB, Feller MA, Desai
RV, Love TE, Allman RM, Fonarow GC, Ahmed A. Design and rationale of studies of
neurohormonal blockade and outcomes in diastolic heart failure using OPTIMIZE-HFregistry linked to Medicare data. Int J Cardiol. 2011 Nov 24. [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 22119116
5. Roy B, Desai RV, Mujib M, Epstein AE, Zhang Y, Guichard J, Jones LG, Feller MA,
Ahmed MI, Aban IB, Love TE, Levesque R, White M, Aronow WS, Fonarow GC,Ahmed A. Effect of warfarin on outcomes in septuagenarian patients with atrial fibril-lation. Am J Cardiol. 2012 Feb 1;109(3):370-7. Epub 2011 Nov 24. PMID: 22118824
6. Minisman G, Bhanushali M, Conwit R, Wolfe GI, Aban I, Kaminski HJ, Cutter G.
Implementing clinical trials on an international platform: Challenges and perspectives.
J Neurol Sci. 2012 Feb 15;313(1-2):1-6. Epub 2011 Nov 1. PMID 22047648
7. Kozak MS, Mugavero MJ, Ye J, Aban I, Lawrence ST, Nevin CR, Raper JL, McCul-
lumsmith C, Schumacher JE, Crane HM, Kitahata MM, Saag MS, Willig JH. PatientReported Outcomes in Routine Care: Advancing Data Capture for HIV Cohort Re-search. Clin Infect Dis. 2012 Jan;54(1):141-7. Epub 2011 Oct 31. PMID: 22042879
8. Aronow WS, Rich MW, Goodlin SJ, Birkner T, Zhang Y, Feller MA, Aban IB, Jones
LG, Bearden DM, Allman RM, Ahmed A. In-Hospital Cardiology Consultation andEvidence-Based Care for Nursing Home Residents with Heart Failure. J Am Med DirAssoc. 2011 Oct 8. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21982687
9. White M, Desai RV, Guichard JL, Mujib M, Aban IB, Ahmed MI, Feller MA, de
Denus S, Ahmed A. Bucindolol, Systolic Blood Pressure, and Outcomes in SystolicHeart Failure: A Prespecified Post Hoc Analysis of BEST. Can J Cardiol. 2011 Oct 7.
[Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21982425
10. Guichard JL, Desai RV, Ahmed MI, Mujib M, Fonarow GC, Feller MA, Ekundayo OJ,
Bittner V, Aban IB, White M, Aronow WS, Love TE, Bakris GL, Zieman SJ, AhmedA. Isolated Diastolic Hypotension and Incident Heart Failure in Older Adults. Hyper-tension. 2011 Sep 26. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21947466
11. Roy B, Pawar PP, Desai RV, Fonarow GC, Mujib M, Zhang Y, Feller MA, Ovalle F,
Aban IB, Love TE, Iskandrian AE, Deedwania P, Ahmed A. A Propensity-MatchedStudy of the Association of Diabetes Mellitus With Incident Heart Failure and MortalityAmong Community-Dwelling Older Adults. Am J Cardiol. 2011 Dec 15;108(12):1747-53.
Epub 2011 Sep 22. PMID: 21943936
12. Williams BR, Zhang Y, Sawyer P, Mujib M, Jones LG, Feller MA, Ekundayo OJ, Aban
IB, Love TE, Lott A, Ahmed A. Intrinsic Association of Widowhood With Mortality inCommunity-Dwelling Older Women and Men: Findings From a Prospective Propensity-Matched Population Study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2011 Dec;66(12):1360-8.
Epub 2011 Sep 7. PMID: 21903611
13. Zhang Y, Fonarow GC, Sanders PW, Farahmand F, Allman RM,Aban IB, Love TE,
Levesque R, Kilgore ML, Ahmed A. A Propensity-Matched Study of the Compara-tive Effectiveness of Angiotensin Receptor Blockers Versus Angiotensin-Converting En-zyme Inhibitors in Heart Failure Patients Age 65 Years. Am J Cardiol. 2011 Nov15;108(10):1443-8. Epub 2011 Sep 3. PMID: 21890091
14. Tam-Maury IM, Willig JH, Jolly PE, Vermund S, Aban I, Hill JD, Wilson CM, Kempf
MC. Prevalence, Incidence, and Recurrence of Oral Lesions Among HIV-Infected Pa-tients on HAART in Alabama: A Two-Year Longitudinal Study. South Med J. 2011Aug;104(8):561-566. PMID: 21886064
15. Filippatos GS, Desai RV, Ahmed MI, Fonarow GC, Love TE, Aban IB, Iskandrian AE,
Konstam MA, Ahmed A. Hypoalbuminaemia and incident heart failure in older adults.
Eur J Heart Fail. 2011 Oct;13(10):1078-86. Epub 2011 Jul 31. PMID: 21807662
16. Bowling CB, Feller MA, Mujib M, Pawar PP, Zhang Y, Ekundayo OJ,Aban IB, Love
TE, Sanders PW, Anker SD, Fonarow GC, Ahmed A. Relationship between stage ofkidney disease and incident heart failure in older adults. Am J Nephrol. 2011;34(2):135-41. doi: 10.1159/000328905. Epub 2011 Jul 4. PMID: 21734366
17. Pawar PP, Jones LG, Feller M, Guichard JL, Mujib M, Ahmed MI, Roy B, Rahman
T, Aban IB, Love TE, White M, Aronow WS, Fonarow GC, Ahmed A. Associationbetween smoking and outcomes in older adults with atrial fibrillation. Arch GerontolGeriatr. 2011 Jul 4. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21733581
18. Desai RV, Guichard JL, Mujib M, Ahmed MI, Feller MA, Fonarow GC, Meyer P, Iskan-
drian AE, Bogaard HJ, White M, Aban IB, Aronow WS, Deedwania P, WaagsteinF, Ahmed A. Reduced right ventricular ejection fraction and increased mortality inchronic systolic heart failure patients receiving beta-blockers: Insights from the BESTtrial. Int J Cardiol. 2011 Jun 23. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21704392
19. Perry GJ, Ahmed MI, Desai RV, Mujib M, Zile M, Sui X, Aban IB, Zhang Y, Tallaj
J, Allman RM, Aronow WS, Fleg JL, Ahmed A. Left ventricular diastolic function andexercise capacity in community-dwelling adults 65 years of age without heart failure.
Am J Cardiol. 2011 Sep 1;108(5):735-40. Epub 2011 Jun 23. PMID: 21704282
20. Meyer P, Desai RV, Mujib M, Feller MA, Adamopoulos C, Banach M, Lainscak M, Aban
I, White M, Aronow WS, Deedwania P, Iskandrian AE, Ahmed A. Right ventricularejection fraction ¡20Int J Cardiol. 2011 Jun 9. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21664707
21. Feller MA, Mujib M, Zhang Y, Ekundayo OJ, Aban IB, Fonarow GC, Allman RM,
Ahmed A. Baseline characteristics, quality of care, and outcomes of younger and olderMedicare beneficiaries hospitalized with heart failure: Findings from the Alabama HeartFailure Project. Int J Cardiol. 2011 May 26. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21621285
22. Mdodo R, Moser SA, Jaoko W, Baddley J, Pappas P, Kempf MC, Aban I, Odera S, Jolly
P. Antifungal susceptibilities of Cryptococcus neoformans cerebrospinal fluid isolatesfrom AIDS patients in Kenya. Mycoses. 2011 Sep;54(5):e438-42. doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0507.2010.01946.x. Epub 2011 May 3. PMID: 21535451
23. Deedwania PC, Ahmed MI, Feller MA, Aban IB, Love TE, Pitt B, Ahmed A. Impact of
diabetes mellitus on outcomes in patients with acute myocardial infarction and systolicheart failure. Eur J Heart Fail. 2011 May;13(5):551-9. Epub 2011 Mar 9. PMID:21393298
24. Nevin CR, Ye J, Aban I, Mugavero MJ, Jackson D, Lin H, Allison J, Raper JL, Saag
MS, Willig JH. The role of toxicity-related regimen changes in the development of an-tiretroviral resistance. 2011 Sep;27(9):957-63. Epub 2011 Mar 21. PMID: 21342052
25. Adamopoulos C, Meyer P, Desai RV, Karatzidou K, Ovalle F, White M, Aban I, Love
TE, Deedwania P, Anker SD, Ahmed A. Absence of obesity paradox in patients withchronic heart failure and diabetes mellitus: a propensity-matched study. Eur J HeartFail. 2011 Feb;13(2):200-6. Epub 2010 Oct 7. PMID: 209300011
26. Mujib M, Desai RV, Ahmed MI, Guichard JL, Feller MA, Ekundayo OJ, Deedwania P,
Ali M,Aban IB, Love TE, White M, Aronow WS, Rahimtoola SH, Bonow RO, AhmedA. Rheumatic heart disease and risk of incident heart failure among community-dwelling
older adults: A prospective cohort study. Ann Med. 2011 Jan 24. [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 21254894
27. Filippatos GS, Ahmed MI, Gladden JD, Mujib M, Aban IB, Love TE, Sanders PW,
Pitt B, Anker SD, Ahmed A. Hyperuricaemia, chronic kidney disease, and outcomes inheart failure: potential mechanistic insights from epidemiological data. Eur Heart J.
2011 Jan 3. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21199831
28. Mujib M, Rahman AA, Desai RV, Ahmed MI, Feller MA, Aban I, Love TE, White
M, Deedwania P, Aronow WS, Fonarow G, Ahmed A. Warfarin Use and Outcomesin Patients With Advanced Chronic Systolic Heart Failure Without Atrial Fibrillation,Prior Thromboembolic Events, or Prosthetic Valves. Am J Cardiol. 2010 Dec 22. [Epubahead of print] PMID: 21185004
29. You Z, Williams OD, Aban I, Kabagambe EK, Tiwari HK, Cutter G. Relative efficiency
and sample size for cluster randomized trials with variable cluster sizes. Clin Trials. 2010Dec 16. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21163852
30. Jones LG, Zhang Y, Ahmed MI, Ekundayo OJ, Akhter S, Sawyer P, Aban I, Sims RV,
Ahmed A.Understanding the reasons for the underuse of pneumococcal vaccination bycommunity-dwelling older African Americans. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010 Dec;58(12):2323-8. PMID: 21143440
31. Desai RV, Ahmed MI, Mujib M, Aban IB, Zile MR, Ahmed A. Natural History of
Concentric Left Ventricular Geometry in Community-Dwelling Older Adults WithoutHeart Failure During Seven Years of Follow-Up. Am J Cardiol. 2011 Jan 15;107(2):321-4. Epub 2010 Dec 2. PMID: 21129719
32. Desai RV, Meyer P, Ahmed MI, Mujib M, Adamopoulos C, White M, Aban IB, Iskan-
drian AE, Ahmed A. Relationship between left and right ventricular ejection fractionsin chronic advanced systolic heart failure: insights from the BEST trial. Eur J HeartFail. 2010 Nov 21. [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 21097899
33. Willig JH, Aban I, Nevin CR, Ye J, Raper JL, McKinnel JA, Delaitsch LL, Mrus JM,
De La Rosa GR, Mugavero MJ, Saag MS. Darunavir outcomes study: comparativeeffectiveness of virologic suppression, regimen durability, and discontinuation reasonsfor three-class experienced patients at 48 weeks. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2010Dec;26(12):1279-85. Epub 2010 Oct 21.PMID: 20961276
34. Ahmed MI, Mujib M, Desai RV, Feller MA, Daniel C, Aban I, Love TE, Deedwania
P, Pitt B, Aronow WS, Ahmed A. Outcomes in younger and older adults with chronicadvanced systolic heart failure: A propensity-matched study. Int J Cardiol. 2010 Oct14. [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 20947188
35. Desai RV, Ahmed MI, Fonarow GC, Filippatos GS, White M,Aban IB, Aronow WS,
Ahmed A. Effect of serum insulin on the association between hyperuricemia and incidentheart failure. Am J Cardiol. 2010 Oct 15;106(8):1134-8.PMID: 20920653
36. Inusah S, Sormani MP, Cofield SS, Aban IB, Musani SK, Srinivasasainagendra V,
Cutter GR. Assessing changes in relapse rates in multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler. 2010 Sep1 [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 20810517
37. Kvale E, Ekundayo OJ, Zhang Y, Akhter S, Aban I, Love TE, Ritchie C, Ahmed A.
Cancer Epidemiol. History of cancer and mortality in community-dwelling older adults.
2010 Aug 12. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 20708995
38. Desai RV, Banach M, Ahmed MI, Mujib M, Aban I, Love TE, White M, Fonarow G,
Deedwania P, Aronow WS, Ahmed A. Impact of baseline systolic blood pressure onlong-term outcomes in patients with advanced chronic systolic heart failure (insightsfrom the BEST trial).Am J Cardiol. 2010 Jul 15;106(2):221-7. PMID: 20599007
39. Morgan CJ, Aban IB, Katholi CR, Cutter GR.Modeling lesion counts in multiple
sclerosis when patients have been selected for baseline activity.
Aug;16(8):926-34. Epub 2010 Jun 18. PMID: 20562161
40. Gheorghiade M, Flaherty JD, Fonarow GC, Desai RV, Lee R, McGiffin D, Love TE,
Aban I, Eichhorn EJ, Bonow RO, Ahmed A. Coronary artery disease, coronary revas-cularization, and outcomes in chronic advanced systolic heart failure. Int J Cardiol.
2010 Jun 14. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 20554334
41. Iyer AS, Ahmed MI, Filippatos GS, Ekundayo OJ, Aban IB, Love TE, Nanda NC, Bakris
GL, Fonarow GC, Aronow WS, Ahmed A. Uncontrolled hypertension and increased riskfor incident heart failure in older adults with hypertension: findings from a propensity-matched prospective population study. J Am Soc Hypertens. 2010 Jan-Feb;4(1):22-31.
42. Meyer P, Filippatos GS, Ahmed MI, Iskandrian AE, Bittner V, Perry GJ, White M,
Aban IB, Mujib M, DellItalia LJ, Ahmed A.
fraction on outcomes in chronic systolic heart failure. Circulation. 2010; 121: 252-258.
43. Iyer AS, Ahmed MI, Filippatos GS, Ekundayo OJ, Aban IB, Love TE, Nanda NC,
Bakris GL, Fonarow GC, Aronow WS, Ahmed A. Uncontrolled hypertension and in-creased risk for incident heart failure in older adults with hypertension: findings froma propensity-matched prospective population study. J Am Soc Hypertens. 2010 Jan-Feb;4(1):22-31. PMID: 20374948
44. Gaddam K, Corros C, Pimenta E, Ahmed M, Denney T, Aban I, Inusah S, Gupta
H, Lloyd SG, Oparil S, Husain A, Dell’Italia LJ, Calhoun DA. Rapid reversal of leftventricular hypertrophy and intracardiac volume overload in patients with resistant hy-pertension and hyperaldosteronism: a prospective clinical study. Hypertension. 2010May;55(5):1137-42. Epub 2010 Mar 29. PMID: 20351345 [PubMed - indexed for MED-LINE]
45. Feng W, Nagaraj H, Gupta H, Lloyd S, Aban I, Perry G, Calhoun D, Dell’Italia L,
Denney T. A dual propagation contours technique for semi-automated assessment ofsystolic and diastolic cardiac function by CMR. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2009 Aug13;11(1):30. PMID: 19674481
46. Lawrence ST, Willig JH, Crane HM, Ye J, Aban I, Lober W, Nevin CR, Batey DS, Mu-
gavero MJ, McCullumsmith C, Wright C, Kitahata M, Raper JL, Saag MS, SchumacherJE. Routine, self-administered, touch-screen, computer-based suicidal ideation assess-ment linked to automated response team notification in an HIV primary care setting.
Clin Infect Dis. 2010 Apr 15;50(8):1165-73. PMID: 20210646
47. Ahmed AA, Hays CI, Liu B, Aban IB, Sims RV, Aronow WS, Ritchie CS, Ahmed
A. Predictors of in-hospital mortality among hospitalized nursing home residents: ananalysis of the National Hospital Discharge Surveys 2005-2006. J Am Med Dir Assoc.
2010 Jan;11(1):52-8. Epub 2009 Nov 25. PMID: 20129215
48. Bowling CB, Pitt B, Ahmed MI, Aban IB, Sanders PW, Mujib M, Campbell RC, Love
TE, Aronow WS, Allman RM, Bakris GL, Ahmed A. Hypokalemia and outcomes in
patients with chronic heart failure and chronic kidney disease: findings from propensity-matched studies. Circ Heart Fail. 2010 Mar;3(2):253-60. Epub 2010 Jan 26. PMID:20103777
49. Baffi CW, Aban I, Willig JH, Agrawal M, Mugavero MJ, Bachmann LH. New syphilis
cases and concurrent STI screening in a southeastern U.S. HIV clinic: a call to action.
AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2010 Jan;24(1):23-9. PMID: 20095902
50. Meyer P, Filippatos GS, Ahmed MI, Iskandrian AE, Bittner V, Perry GJ, White M,
Aban IB, Mujib M, Dell’Italia LJ, Ahmed A. Effects of right ventricular ejection frac-tion on outcomes in chronic systolic heart failure. Circulation. 2010 Jan 19;121(2):252-8.
Epub 2010 Jan 4. PMID: 20048206
51. Ahmed MI, Lainscak M, Mujib M, Love TE, Aban I, Pia IL, Aronow WS, Bittner V,
Ahmed A. Gender-related dissociation in outcomes in chronic heart failure: Reducedmortality but similar hospitalization in women. Int J Cardiol. 2009 Nov 23. [Epubahead of print] PMID: 19939481
52. Ahmed MI, Aronow WS, Criqui MH, Aban I, Love TE, Eichhorn EJ, Ahmed A. Effects
of peripheral arterial disease on outcomes in advanced chronic systolic heart failure: apropensity-matched study. Circ Heart Fail. 2010 Jan;3(1):118-24. Epub 2009 Oct 27.
53. Bachmann LH, Grimley DM, Chen H, Aban I, Hu J, Zhang S, Waithaka YW, Hook
III EW. Risk Behaviors in HIV-positive Men Who Have Sex With Men Participating inan Intervention in a Primary Care Setting. Int J STD AIDS. 2009 Sep; 20(9):607-12.
54. Ahmed MI, White M, Ekundayo OJ, Love TE, Aban I, Liu B, Aronow WS, Ahmed A.
A history of atrial fibrillation and outcomes in chronic advanced systolic heart failure:a propensity-matched study. Euro Heart J. 2009; 30 (16): 2029-2037. PMID: 19531579
55. Ahmed MI, Ekundayo OJ, Mujib M, Campbell RC, Sanders PW, Pitt B, Perry GJ,
Bakris G, Aban I, Love TE, Aronow WS, Ahmed A. Mild hyperkalemia and out-comes in chronic heart failure: A propensity matched study. Int J Cardiol. 2010 Oct29;144(3):383-8. Epub 2009 Jun 5. PMID: 19500863
56. Mujib M, Giamouzis G, Agha SA, Aban I, Sathiakumar N, Ekundayo OJ, Zamrini
E, Allman R, Butler J, Ahmed A. Epidemiology of Stroke in Chronic Heart FailurePatients with Normal Sinus Rhythm: Findings from the DIG Stroke Sub-Study. Int JCardiol. 2010 Oct 29;144(3):389-93. Epub 2009 May 12. PMID: 19439379
57. Pimenta E., Gaddam K, Oparil S, Aban I, Husain S, DellItalia LJ, Calhoun DA.
Effects Of Dietary Sodium Reduction On Blood Pressure In Subjects With ResistantHypertension: Results From A Randomized Trial. Hypertension. 2009 Sep;54(3):475-81.
Epub 2009 Jul 20. PMID: 19620517
58. Ritchie C, Muchimba M, Ekundayo OJ, Campbell RC, Frank SJ, Liu B, Aban IB,
Ahmed A. Effects of diabetes mellitus in patients with heart failure and chronic kidneydisease: A propensity-matched study of multimorbidity in chronic heart failure. Int JCardiol. 2009 May 29;134(3):330-5. PMID: 19178965
59. Ekundayo OJ, DellItalia LJ, Sanders PW, Arnett D, Aban I, Love TE, Filippatos
G, Anker SD, Lloyd-Jones DM, Bakris G, Mujib M, Ahmed A. Association betweenhyperuricemia and incident heart failure among older adults: a propensity-matchedstudy. Hypertension. 2009 Sep;54(3):475-81. Epub 2009 Jul 20. PMID: 19201041
60. Giamouzis G, Agha SA, Aban I, Love TE, Daniels C, Butler J, Ahmed A.
dent Coronary Revascularization and Subsequent Mortality in Chronic Heart Failure APropensity-Matched Study. Int J Cardiol. 2010 Apr 1;140(1):55-9. Epub 2008 Dec 11.
61. Meyer P, Ekundayo OJ, Adamopoulos C, Mujib M, Aban I, White M, Aronow WS,
Ahmed A. A propensity-matched study of elevated jugular venous pressure and out-comes in chronic heart failure. Am J Cardiol. 2009 Mar 15;103(6):839-44. PMID:19268742
62. Ekundayo OJ, Allman RM, Sanders PW, Aban I, Love TE, Arnett D, Ahmed A.
Isolated systolic hypertension and incident heart failure in older adults: a propensity-matched study.
63. Aban I, Cutter GR, and Mavinga N. Inferences and Power Analysis Concerning Two
Negative Binomial Distributions with An Application to MRI Lesion Counts Data. Com-putational Statistics and Data Analysis. (Jan 15, 2009).53(3): 820-833. PMID: 19177180
64. Ekundayo OJ, Muchimba M, Aban IB, Ritchie C, Campbell RC, Ahmed A. Multimor-
bidity due to Diabetes Mellitus and Chronic Kidney Disease and Outcomes in ChronicHeart Failure. American Journal of Cardiology. 2009 Jan 1;103(1):88-92. Epub 2008Oct 23. PMID: 19101236
anyi P, Kiss P, Brott BC, Litovsky S, Denney TS, Aban I, Lloyd SG,
Myocardial strain in sub-acute peri-infarct my-
ocardium International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging. 2009 Feb;25(2):151-9. Epub2008 Oct 15 PMID: 18855121
66. Meyer P, White M, Mujib M, Nozza A, Love T, Aban I, Young J, Wehrmacher W,
Ahmed A. Digoxin and Reduction of Heart Failure Hospitalization in Chronic Systolicand Diastolic Heart Failure. American Journal of Cardiology. 2008 Dec 15;102(12):1681-6. Epub 2008 Oct 17 PMID: 19064024
67. King C., Feldman J., Waithaka Y., Aban I, Hu J., Zhang S., Hook III E. and Bachmann
LH. Sexual Risk Behaviors and Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) Prevalence inan Outpatient Psychiatry Clinic Sexually Transmitted Diseases. Sexually TransmittedDisease. 2008 Oct;35(10):877-82 PMID: 18607313
68. Aban IB, Wolfe GI, Cutter GR, Kaminski HJ, Jaretzki III A, Minisman G, Conwit R,
Newsom-Davis J., MGTX Advisory Committee. The MGTX experience: Challenges inplanning and executing an international, multicenter clinical trial. Journal of Neuroim-munology. (Sep 2008). 201-202: 80-84. PMID: 18675464
69. Cutter G and Aban I. Rules of Evidence for Clinical Trials - The science of finding
the truth? Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2008. 1132:233-237 PMID:18567873
70. Newsom-Davis J, Cutter G, Wolfe GI, Kaminski HJ, Jaretzki III A, Minisman G, Aban
I, Conwit R. Status of the thymectomy trial for non-thymomatous myasthenia gravispatients receiving prednisone. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2008.
1132: 344-347. PMID: 18567886
anyi P, Kiss P, Brott BC, Singh SS, Litovsky S, Aban I, Lloyd SG, Simor
T, Elgavish GA, Gupta H. Automated multidetector computed tomography evaluationof subacutely infarcted myocardium. Journal of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography(Jan 2008) 2, 26-32. PMID: 19083913
72. Gaddam K, Pimenta E, Pratt-Ubunama M, Nishizaka M, Aban I, Oparil S, and Calhoun
D. Characterization of resistant hypertension: association between resistant hyperten-sion, aldosterone, and persistent intravascular volume expansion. Arch Intern Med. 2008Jun 9;168(11):1159. PMID: 18541823
73. Pimenta E, Gaddam KK, Pratt-Ubunama MN, Nishizaka MK, Aban I, Oparil S, Cal-
houn DA. Relation of Dietary Salt and Aldosterone to Urinary Protein Excretion inSubjects With Resistant Hypertension. Hypertension, 2008 Feb;51(2):339-44. Epub2007 Dec 17. PMID: 18086955
74. HT Chen, DM Grimley, Y Waithaka, IB Aban, J Hu, LH Bachmann. An Evaluation
of the Implementation of a Computer-Based, Provider-Delivered HIV Prevention Inter-vention in the Primary Care Setting. Aids Care. 2008 Jan 28; 20(1): 51-60. PMID:18278615
75. St-Onge MP, Newcomer BR, Buchthal S, Aban I, Allison DB, Bosarge A, Gower B.
Intramyocellular lipid content is lower with a low-fat diet than with high-fat diets, butthat may not be relevant for health. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;86:1316-22. PMID: 17991641
76. Denney TS Jr, Nagaraj HM, Lloyd SG, Aban I, Corros C, Seghatol-Eslami F, McGiffin
DC, Dell’Italia LJ, Gupta H. Effect of primary mitral regurgitation on left ventricularsynchrony. Am J Cardiol. 2007 Aug 15;100(4):707-11. PMID: 17697833
77. St-Onge MP, Aban I, Bosarge A, Gower B, Hecker KD, Allison DB. Consuming Snack
Chips Fried in Corn Oil Improves Cardiovascular Risk Factors When Substituted ForOther Low-Fat or High-Fat Snacks. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Jun;85(6):1503-10. PMID:17556685
78. Ekundayo OJ, Dodson-Stallworth J, Roofe M, Aban IB, Bachmann LH, Kempf MC,
Ehiri JE, Jolly PE. Initiation of heterosexual activity among adolescents in rural Ja-maica: The influence of family factors. Journal of Education and Human Development.
2007;1:2 (online publication only)
79. Ekundayo OJ, Dodson-Stallworth J, Roofe M, Aban IB, Bachmann LH, Kempf MC,
Ehiri J, Jolly PE. The Determinants of Sexual Intercourse before Age 16 Years amongRural Jamaican Adolescents. The Scientific World Journal. 2007 Jun;85(6):1503-10.
80. Ahmed A., Aban IB, Vaccarino V, Lloyd-Jones DM, Goff DC Jr, Zhao J, Love TE,
Ritchie C, Ovalle F, Gambassi G, and Dell’Italia LJ. A propensity matched study ofthe effect of diabetes on the natural history of heart failure: variations by sex and age.
Heart. 2007 May 8 [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 17488764
81. Ekundayo OJ, Dodson-Stallworth J, Roofe M, Aban IB, Kempf MC, Ehiri JE, Jolly
PE. Prevalence and correlates of depressive symptoms among high school students inHanover, Jamaica. Scientific World Journal. 2007 May 1;7:567-76. PMID: 17525821
82. Ryan TD, Rothstein EC, Aban I, Tallaj JA, Husain A, Lucchesi PA, Dell’Italia LJ.
Left ventricular eccentric remodeling and matrix loss are mediated by bradykinin andprecede cardiomyocyte elongation in rats with volume overload. J Am Coll Cardiol.
2007 Feb 20;49(7):811-21. Epub 2007 Feb 5. PMID: 17306712
83. Ekundayo, OJ, Dodson-Stallworth J, Roofe M, Aban IB, Bachmann LH, Kempf MC,
Ehiri J, Jolly PE. The determinants of sexual intercourse before age 16 years amongrural Jamaican adolescents.
84. Ahmed A, Rich MW, Sanders PW, Perry GJ, Bakris GL, Zile MR, Love TE, Aban IB,
Shlipak MG. Chronic kidney disease associated mortality in diastolic versus systolicheart failure: a propensity matched study. Am J Cardiol. 2007 Feb 1;99(3):393-8. Epub2006 Dec 8. PMID: 17261405
85. Grimley DM, Annang L, Lewis I, Smith RW, Aban I, Hooks T, Williams S, Hook EW
3rd, St Lawrence J. Sexually Transmitted Infections among Urban Shelter Clients. SexTrans Dis, (2006), vol. 33 no. 11 pp. 666-669. PMID: 16773034
86. Hankes, G., J. Ardell, J Tallaj, C. Wei, I. Aban, M. Holland, P. Rynders, R. Dillon, R.
Cardinale, D. Hoover, J. Armour, A. Husain, L. Dell’Italia. ?-1 adrenoreceptor blockademitigates excessive norepinephrine release into the cardiac interstitium in mitral regur-gitation in the dog. American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology,(2006), vol. 291 no. 1, pp. 147-151. PMID: 16772522
87. Ahmed, A., MW Rich, TE Love, DM Lloyd-Jones, IB Aban, WS Colucci, K Adams,
and M Gheorghiade. Digoxin and reduction in mortality and hospitalization in heartfailure: a comprehensive post hoc analysis of the DIG trial. European Heart Journal,(2006), vol. 27, no. 2, 178-186. PMID: 16339157
88. Ahmed, A., I Aban, MT Weaver MT, WS Aronow, and JL Fleg. Serum Digoxin Level
and Outcome in Women with Heart Failure: Possible Effect Modification by EjectionFraction. European Journal of Heart Failure, (2006), vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 409-419. PMID:16311070
89. Aban I, M. Meerschaert and A. Panorska. Parameter Estimation for the Truncated
Pareto Distribution. Journal of the American Statistical Association, (2006), vol. 101,pp. 270-277.
90. Aban I and M. Meerschaert. Generalized least squares estimators for the thickness of
heavy tails. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, (2004), vol. 119, pp. 341-352.
91. Baltazar, J., C. Ancheta, I Aban, R. Fernando, and M. Baquilod. Prevalence and
correlates of diabetes mellitus and impaired glucose tolerance among adults in Luzon,Philippines. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, (2004), vol. 64, pp. 107-115.
92. McKee, D., K. Oring, I. Aban, M. Lu, K. Peele, B. Scott. Treating facial acne in adoles-
cents and young adults by auriculoacupuncture and auriculotherapy, Medical Acupunc-ture, (2004), vol. 16, no.1.
93. Polousny, M., V. Follette, I. Aban and M. Rosenthal. Experiential avoidance as a
mediator of the effects of adolescent sexual victimization on negative adult outcomes.
Victims and Violence, (2004) vol. 19, no. 1. pp. 109-120. PMID: 15179750
94. Aban I and M. Meerschaert. (2001) Shifted Hill’s estimator for heavy tails, Communi-
cations in Statistics: Simulation and Computation, vol. 30, issue 4, pp. 949-962.
95. Batten, S., V. Follette and I Aban (2001). Experiential avoidance and high risk sexual
behavior in survivors of child sexual abuse, Journal of Child Sexual Abuse, vol. 10, no.
2, pp. 109-120. PMID: 15154403
96. Dixon, M. R., L. J. Hayes and I Aban. (2000) Examining the roles of rule following,
reinforcement, and pre-experimental histories on risk-taking behavior. The PsychologicalRecord, (2000) vol. 50, number 4.
97. Dixon, M., L. Hayes, S. Harrington, and I. Aban. (1999) A regression model of subjec-
tive probability, Psychological Reports, Vol. 84, pp. 399-403.
98. Aban I and E. Pena. (1999) Properties of test statistics applied to residuals in failure-
time models, Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, Vol. 75, pp. 181-209.
99. Aban I and E. Pena. (1998) Conditional ancillarity of residuals in failure-time models,
Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, Vol. 74, pp. 31-49.
100. Aban I and E. Pena. (1995) Properties of hazard-based residuals and implications in
model diagnostics, Journal of American Statistical Association, Vol. 90, pp. 185-197.
Book Chapter, Monographs and Other publications
1. Book Chapter: I. Aban and G. Cutter. Chapter 11: Defining Responders and Non-
responders: Clinical and Statistical Aspects. Neurodegeneration in Multiple Sclerosis(Topics in Neuroscience). Springer Italy, August 2007 (eds: M. Filippi, M. Rovaris, andG. Comi)
2. Monograph: Cutter, G. and Aban I. The Confusing World of Clinical Trials, A Guide for
Patients and Families, MSAA Monograph #2 Multiple Sclerosis Association of America(May 2007)
3. Entries in Encyclopedia of Measurement and Statistics (SAGE). 2006:
(a) Aban, I. and E. Pena, “Goodness of Fit”
(b) Aban, I., “Definition of Residuals”
4. Dissertation: Properties of residuals in failure-time models with applications in model
PhD Dissertation. Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Bowling Green StateUniversity (1995).
5. Proceedings: Baltazar, I. and M. Mena. Variability in tin thickness measurements
using x-ray fluorescence technique. Advanced
Techniques for Integrated Circuit Processing (1991), pp. 670-680, (edited by J. Bondurand T. Turner), Washington: USA.
• “Propensity Scores: A Path To Causality?,” UP College of Public Health Seminar Series
• “Comparing NB Distributions with an Application to MRI Lesion Counts Data”, De-
partment of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Nevada, Reno, April 2005
• “Generalized least squares estimators for the thickness of heavy tails”,
School of Statistics, University of the Philippines, March 2003
• “Shifted Hill’s Estimator for Heavy Tails”, Department of Mathematics, University of
• “Properties of Hazard-Based Residuals and its Implications to Model Diagnostics”,
• “A First Aid Kit for Survival Analysis”, Department of Psychology, University of Nevada,
• “Biostatistics: Design and Analysis of Medical Data”, Department of Surgery, University
of Nevada Reno, October 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
• “The Significance of p-values in Hypothesis Testing”, Department of Anthropology, Uni-
• “Incidence of MG based on screening data of MGTX Study,” MGFA 2010 Scientific
• “Shifted Hill’s Estimator for Heavy Tails”, Heavy Tails Conference, American University,
• “Properties of Test Statistics Applied to Residuals in Failure Time Models”, Joint Sta-
tistical Meetings, Chicago, IL August 4–8, 1996
• “Finite Sample Properties of Hazard-Based Residuals”, Joint Statistical Meetings, San
• “Variability in Tin Thickness Measurements using X-ray Flourescence Technique”, SPIE
Technical Symposium, Santa Clara, CA, September 30–October 5, 1990
• “Thymectomy Trial in on-thymomatous myasthenia gravis patients receiving prednisone
(MGTX).”, (Wolfe G.I., Cutter G.R., Minisman G., Aban I., Jaretzki III A., Conwit R.
and Kaminski H.J. ), presented at Immune Globe International Conference of NervousSystem Autoimmunity (Bangalore, India, 1/30/12).
• “Bayesian approaches for estimating prevalence based on pool screening when observing
zero positive pools,” (T. Birkner, I. Aban, C Katholi), presented by T. Birkner, JointStatistical Meetings (Miami, FL, August 2011)
• ”Incident Heart Failure and All-Cause Mortality in Older Current Smokers and Former
Smokers with 15 or More Years of Abstinence: Findings from a Prospective PopulationStudy,” (A A Ahmed, G Fonarow, G Filippatos, Y Zhang, I Aban, M Anastasiou-Nana,W Aronow, PSawyer, R Allman, A Ahmed) American Heart Association, November2011, Orlando, FL (oral presentation by A. A Ahmed)
• “Lack of Association between Discharge Prescription of Aldosterone Antagonists and
Outcomes in Medicare Beneficiaries with Heart Failure and Preserved Ejection Fraction:A Propensity-Matched Study of the OPTIMIZE-HF,” (A Ahmed, Y Zhang, M Mujib,T Arora, M Kilgore, I Aban, T Love, R Levesque, D Kitzman, M Gheorghiade, RAllman, G Fonarow), American Heart Association, November 2011, Orlando, FL (oralpresentation by A. Ahmed)
• “Physical Activity and Incident Heart Failure in Community Dwelling Older Adults with
and without Metabolic Syndrome,” (S Singh, Y Zhang, R Desai, X Sui, G Fonarow, IAban, S Blair, G Perry, V Bittner, P Deedwania, A Ahmed), American Heart Associa-tion, November 2011, Orlando, FL (oral presentation by S Singh)
• “Isolated Diastolic Hypotension Without Systolic Hypotension or Hypertension is an
Independent Risk Factor for Incident Heart Failure Among Community-Dwelling OlderAdults,” (JL Guichard, Y Zhang, CJ Pepine, IB Aban, TE Love, DA Calhoun, WSAronow, PC Deedwania, A Ahmed ), American Heart Association, November 2011,Orlando, FL (oral presentation by JL Guichard)
• “Renin-Angiotensin System Inhibition and Reduction in All-Cause Mortality in Medicare
Beneficiaries Hospitalized with Acute Diastolic Heart Failure: A Propensity-MatchedStudy of the OPTIMIZE-HF Registration”, Poster Presentation (co-Author) AmericanHeart Association’s Scientific Sessions 2010
• “Mild Chronic Kidney Disease (Stage-3A) and Poor Outcomes in Medicare Beneficiaries
Hospitalized with Acute Heart Failure”, Poster Presentation (co-Author) GerontologicalSociety of America 2010:
• “Does Mitral Regurgitation Cause Left Ventricular Dyssynchrony?”.
ney, Hosakote Nagaraj, Steven G. Lloyd, Inmaculada Aban, Cecilia Corros, Louis J.
Dell’italia, Himanshu Gupta (presented by Thomas Denney, Rome, 2006)
• “Intramyocellular Lipid Content is Lower After Consumption of a Lower Fat Diet But
is Not Related to Metabolic Risk”. Marie-Pierre St-Onge, Bradley Newcomer, StevenBuchthal, Inmaculada Aban, Aubrey Bosarge, Barbara Gower, David B. Allison (poster– presented by Marie-Pierre St. Onge, NAASO Boston 2006)
• “Status Of The Thymectomy Trial For Non-Thymomatous Myasthenia Gravis Patients
Receiving Prednisone.” John Newsom-Davis, Gil Wolfe, Gary Cutter, Henry Kaminski,Alfred Jaretzki, Greg Minisman, Robin Conwit, Joanne Odenkirchen (presented by JohnNewsom-Davis, Chicago, May 2007)
• “An Evaluation of the Implementation of a Computer-Based, Provider-Delivered HIV
Prevention Intervention in the Primary Care Setting”. Bachmann LH, Grimley DM,Waithaka YW, Aban I., Hu J, Chen HT (presented by L. Bachmann, SFO May 07)
• “Effect of Volume Overload on Left Ventricular Torsion and Extra Cellular Matrix.”
Hosakote Nagaraj, Gilbert Perry, Gilbert Zoghbi, Inmaculada Aban, David Calhoun,Cecilia Corros (to be presented by Hosakote Nagaraj at AHA Nov 2007)
• Member, Search Committee for Biostatistics Chair (2010-2011)
• Chair, Biostatistic Tenure-track Faculty Search Committee (2010-2011)
• Chair, SOPH Committee to select Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching (2011)
• SOPH Faculty Councilor for Biostatistics Department (2009 – present)
• Member, Steering Committee, 1917 Clinic Cohort Team (on AIDS Research) (2008-2009)
• Member, Search Committee for Director of UAB Center for the Study of Community
• Member, SOPH Educational Program Committee (since September 2006 – August 2009)
• Member, Committee in charge of BST Qualifying/Comprehensive Exam (July 2006 –
• Member, BST Tenure-track Faculty Search Committee (2006-2007)
• Chair, BST Research-track Faculty Search Committee (Summer 2007)
• Biostat Graduate Education Committee (in charge of Qualifying/Comprehensive Exam)
• Member of the Committee to Review and set guidelines for BST Theory Courses (AY
• Co-coordinator, NINDS T32 Training Grant (May 2005 and May 2006)
• Co-organized the Missing Data Short Course (Spring 2005)
• RMCT Curriculum Committee (Member) (since 2005)
• DMC Member, Project: GLOW Study (sponsor: Teva Pharmaceutical) (2012-present)
• Biostatistician, Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology journal (2010-present)
• Member, Committee to Review Evidence Regarding the Safety of Vaccines, Institute of
Medicine of the National Academies (2009-August 2011)
• DSMB Member, Project: Hypopituitarism after Moderate and Severe Head Injury
• Reviewer for Muscular Dystrophy Association (May 2008)
• Reviewer for NIH Cardiovascular Study Section (Jul 2006, Jun 2007)
• Reviewer for NIH/NIA Muscle and Aging (Oct 06)
• Reviewer for NIH/NIDDK: “Gastroparesis Clinical Research Consortium” (2006)
• Reviewer for NSF: Assessment of Student Achievement in Undergraduate Education
• Rewiewed manuscripts for Journal of American Statistical Association; The American
Statistician; Canadian Journal of Statistics; Communications in Statistics; Journal ofStatistical Computation and Simulation; Computational Statistics and Data Analysis;Circulation Journal; Obesity; Journal of Neuoroimmunology
3. University of Nevada, Reno (August 1995 – July 2004)
• Developed statistics curriculum. The following new courses resulted in this development
of Math 152 (Introduction to Statistics), Math 754 (Mathematical Statistics), Math 756(Survival Analysis), Math 757 (Applied Regression Analysis)
• Developed programs: Minor in Statistics; BS in Math (Statistics Option); MS in Math
• Member of numerous graduate committees in the areas of Anthropology, Atmospheric
Sciences, Biology, Chemistry, Math, Psychology, and Sociology.
• Departmental Committees: Chair of the Curriculum Committee (AY 2003-2004, 2000–
2001, 1996-1997), Undergraduate Academic Advisor (AY 2003-2004, 2001-2002); Chairof the Statistics Tenure-track Faculty Search Committee (AY 2000-2001, 1999-2000,1998-1999); Member of the Merit Committee (AY 1998–1999, 1999–2000); Member of theComputing and Equipment Committee (AY 1997-1998, 1998-1999, 1999-2000); Memberof the Executive Committee (AY 1997-1998, 1998-1999)
• College and University Committee Memberships: Allan Bible Teaching Award Commit-
tee (AY 1996-1997); College of Arts and Science Dean Search Committee (AY 1996-1997)
Department of Biostatistics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL
• BST 655 – Categorical Data Analysis (Fa11)
• BST 631 – Statistical Theory I (Fa05, Fa09)
• BST 632 – Statistical Theory II (Sp05, Sp06, Sp07, Sp08, SP11)
• BST 695 – Introduction to Statistical Theory (Su10)
• BST 735 – Advanced Inference (Sp09)
• BST 725 – Advanced Clinical Trials I (Fa07)
Department of Mathematics, University of Nevada, Reno, NV (1995-2004)
• Math 152 – Introduction to Statistics (3 semesters)
• Math 178 – Calculus I for Science (1 semester)
• Math 179 – Calculus II for Science (1 semester)
• Math 352 – Probability and Statistics for Science (5 semesters, 1 summer)
• Math 176 – Elements of Calculus I (4 semesters, 2 summers)
• Math 451/651 – Probability Theory (2 semesters)
• Math 452/652 – Statistics I (3 semesters)
• Math 754 – Mathematical Statistics (1 semester)
• Math 775 – Topics in Probability and Statistics (2 semesters)
• Math 756 – Survival Analysis (2 semesters)
• Math 757 – Applied Regression Analysis (5 semesters)
Department of Mathematics, Bowling Green State University, OH (1990-1995)
• Math 120 – College Algebra (1 semester, 1 summer)
• Math 126 – Basic Calculus (4 semesters)
• Math 115 – Introduction to Statistics (1 semester, 1 summer)
Department of Applied Statistics and OR, Bowling Green State University, OH (1986-1988)
• Stat 211 – Elementary Statistical Methods (2 semesters)
School of Statistics, University of the Philippines
• Stat 211 – Elementary Statistical Methods (1 semester)
– Co-Chair: Thomas Birkner, Program: Phd in Biostatistics, Graduated: Dec 2011
– Committee Member: Milind Phadnis, Program: Phd in Biostatistics, Graduated: Dec
– Committee Member: John Bentley, Program: Phd in Biostatistics, Graduated: Dec
– Co-Chair: Hongjiang Gao, Program: Phd in Biostatistics, Graduated: May 2010 (recip-
ient of the 2010 Charles Katholi Distinguished Dissertation Award)
– Research Advisor: Jiatao Ye, MS in Biostatistics, Graduated: December 2010
– Committee Member: Irene Tami, Program: Phd in Epidemiology, Graduated: December
– Committee Member: Debra Mimbs, Program: Phd in Math, Graduated: August 2010
– Committee Member:Yanhui Sun, Program: Phd in Biostatistics, Graduated: May 2010
– Committee Member: Rennatus Mdodo, Program: Phd in Epidemiology, Graduated:
– Committee Member: Erika Johnson, Program: MPH, Graduated: Dec 2009
– Committee Member: Zhiying You, Program: Phd in Biostatistics, Graduated: Dec 2008
– Committee Member: Mavinga Nsoki, Program: Phd in Mathematics, Graduated: Dec
– Research Advisor: Kathakali Ghosh, MS Project: Comparing Two Independent Samples
from Generalized Poisson Distribution, Graduated: Dec 2006
– Committee Member: Olaniyi Ekundayo, Program: Phd in Epidemiology, Graduated:
– Committee Member: Mark Brooks, Program: Phd in Environmental Health, Graduated:
– Committee Member: Tarun Arora, Program: MS in Biostatistics, Graduated: Dec 2007
– Chair: Samantha Seals, Program: Phd in Biostatistics (expected to graduate in Decem-
– Committee Member: Tapan Mehta, Program: Phd in Biostatistics (expected to graduate
– Committee Member: Celeste Yang, Program: Phd in Biostatistics (expected to graduate
Invited Lectures, Short Courses and Trainings Conducted
Invited Lecture on Bias in Clinical Trials, Course: HMG 703–Quantitative Methods, UAB(Spring 2007)
– Statistical Modeling of Reliability Data (2-day Course), March 2003
Intel-Philippines Manufacturing Corporation
– Statistics Appreciation for Engineers (1-day course), April 2002
– Statistical Inference for Engineers (2-day course), 1990
– Basic Statistics for Operators, Engineers, and Managers (1-day course), 1989
– Introductory Course on SAS (1-day course), 1989
– Statistical Process Control and Design of Experiment (1-day course), 1988
• International Biometric Society (ENAR)
• Recipient of the UAB President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching (2010)
• Finalist for the President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching for SOPH, UAB – 2006, 2007,
• 2007 Best Paper Award (Statistics Research), awarded by the Science Unbound Foundation
• Research Grant, Junior Faculty Research Award (University of Nevada, Reno, July 1998 –
• Graduate Fellow, Bowling Green State University, 1993–1994
• Scholarship Award, American Society for Quality Control, Toledo (Ohio) Chapter, May 1991
• Inducted to the Mu Sigma Rho Honor Society, 1991
• Graduated cum laude, University of the Philippines at Diliman, 1985
• College Scholar, University of the Philippines at Diliman, 1982
• Knowledge and proficiency in FORTRAN programming language, TeX/LaTeX and statistical
• Experience with Pascal, GLIM, Matlab, Derive, and Maple
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Bowling Green State University (Fall, 1992)
– President, Mu Sigma Rho, January–May, 1992
– Vice-President, Mu Sigma Rho, August–December, 1991
• Treasurer, University of the Philippines Statistical Society,
WHY DOES MY GUT HURT SO MUCH? reflux: If any particular foods or types of food do this to you, Dyspepsia is a term that literally means “hurting stomach.” they are your “trigger” foods. Your triggers may be different It is used when discussing the pain of acid reflux. Dyspepsia is from these. I have listed these because they are common trig-actually a term that literally me
DISCHARGE INSTRUCTIONS for Dr. ZEE KHAN LUMBAR DECOMPRESSION AND FUSION SURGERY INCISION • Please make sure your incision is checked at least once daily for signs and symptoms of infection: If any of the below should occur, please call the office. Drainage (continued or increased) from incision Flu-like symptoms Increased redness and/or tenderness around your incision