Copy of the following instructions received by patient:
BEFORE YOUR SURGERY
1. Since ASPIRIN and IBUPROFEN can cause increased bleeding in some people, it is important to avoid medicines which
contain these substances for at least 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after surgery. Common medications to avoid: dvil, AlkaSelt-
zer, Anacin, Ascription, Bufferin, Cheracol, Cope, Coricidin, Darvon, Compound, Dristan, Empirin, Excedrin, Fiorinal, Indocin,
Medipren, Midol, Motrin, Nuprin, Sine-aid, Sine-off, Percodan, Stendin, Triaminicin, Vanquish, and MANY OTHERS. If in
doubt about what you are taking, PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN OR PHARMACIST. It may be necessary to
cancel your surgical procedure if medications containing aspirin or ibuprofen have been taken.
2. We request that smokers stop smoking and eliminate exposure to tobacco smoke for 1 week before and 1 week after surgery.
Smoking irritates nasal passages and causes coughing which might bring on a nose bleed several days after your operation.
3. Report any sign of a cold, infection, boils or pustules appearing before your surgery.
4. Arrange for someone to drive you to your home or where you are staying after surgery. Taxi and/or public transportation is not
acceptable. You must have someone stay with you for the first 24 hours following surgery. Arrange for someone to take over
home responsibilities including care for children the day of surgery and for 3 days after surgery.
THE NIGHT BEFORE SURGERY
1. Wash your face with a mild soap. Do not cream your face afterwards.
2. Shampoo your hair the evening before surgery. Take shower or bath the night before or the morning of surgery.
THE DAY OF SURGERY
1. Do not apply cosmetics to your face or eyes. Do not apply false eyelashes.
2. Brush teeth thoroughly and use mouthwash before coming to the clinic.
3. Nothing to eat for six hours before surgery. You may drink small sips of water up to three hours before surgery.
4. Please do not wear any jewelry except wedding rings.
5. Do not take medications of any kind. Your preoperative medication will be given to you upon arrival.
6. Wear loose, comfortable clothes which do not have to be pulled over your head.
7. You must have someone to drive for you after the surgery. On arrival at the clinic, give your driver’s name and phone number
as well as the address and phone number where you will be the night after surgery.
8. You must have someone spend the first night with you. Additional instrauctions and prescriptions can be given to the person
calling for you. Such prescriptions should be filled promptly.
9. You are not to drive or operate any mechanical tool or device following surgery because of the possible lingering effects of
10. If you have any questions before your operation, please call our office weekdays between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
AFTER YOUR OPERATION:
1. Appointment for your first post-operative visit will be made for you before you leave the clinic.
2. Bedrest with two pillows for 24 hours.
3. May go to the bathroom with assistance as needed.
4. Take medication according to instructions on bottle. If taking strong narcotics, or if oain medication makes you feel “spacey” or
drowsy, have someone else give you your medicines according to the proper time intervals. Under such circumstances, you
5. Your diet should consist mainly of liquids and soft foods.
6. No hot or warm compresses. Use only cold compressed for eyes consisting of gauze pads or clean wash cloth soaked in plain tap
water. These should be applied for the first 24 hours for comfort and to reduce swelling. Apply 20-30 minutes four times a day.
a. Initial nose bleed for up to 24 hours. Change “drip pad” gauze under your nose as needed.
b. Moderate discomfort. Use pain medicine. See 4 above
c. Swelling and black and blue around your eyes, sometimes more on the second or third day after surgery than on the first.
8. Call 228-3187 if you have:
a. Severe pain not responding to medication
b. Prolonged, profuse bleeding soaking more than 5 drip pads per hour after 4 hours
c. If any other questions or problems arise
9. During the first week following surgery:
a. Restrict talking and walking to a minimum
c. Do not strain or do anything which requires significant effort.
10. No smoking for 7 days after surgery because it irritates the lining of the nose and causes coughing, both of which could bring on
11. No alcohol for 4 days following surgery or while taking pain medication.
12. No nose drops for 10 days after surgery.
13. Do not blow your nose for two weeks after surgery. After the first week you may gently cleanse the inside of your nose with a
14. You may wash your hair on the third day after surgery, not counting the day of surgery, providing you have
someone to help you wash it in the face- up position. Do not bend your head forward. You may blow dry your
hair with a warm hand-held dryer or sit under a cool dryer.
15. You may wear make-up providing it does not interfere with the splint or tapes
16. If you happen to sneeze, it usually causes no harm.
17. Avoid sports and other strenuous activities for three weeks. Body contact sports should be restricted for 2 months.
18. Avoid prolonged exposure to sun and/or heat for three months to prevent prolonged swelling.
19. Report any adverse reaction to medications or unusual symptoms to our office.
20. Feel free to call upon as at any time. We want you to be as comfortable as possible during
your healing period.
Miralax and Dulcolax Colonoscopy Prep To help determine your medical treatment, you have been scheduled for a colonoscopy, which is an examination of your large intestine using a flexible tube while you are given intravenous sedation. To obtain the best possible exam, your colon must be free of stool. You will need to buy Miralax in large bottle (8.3 ounces or 238 grams) and four (4) D
www.thedistributorsbrisbane.com.au Price Busters Week commencing 21st January to 10th Feburary CONFECTIONERY Promotional Period $1.09 Each 14/1/2013 Nestle Medium Bar Range 10/2/2013 Allen's Hangsell $1.79 Each 14/1/2013 Nestle Save $11.14 120g - 200g Bags 10/2/2013 Freddo 15g - 20g & Caramello Koala 20g 14/1/2013 Cadbury 03501